[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 19:01:46 UTC 2006

> On 11/15/06, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think that the vast majority of these 'fair use' images are not
> > images in either problem category.  Most that I've seen are
> > fundamentally images whose licenses/permission would permit them to be
> > used on Wikipedia
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Screenshots_of_films
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fair_use_posters
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Screenshots_of_computer_and_video_games
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fair_use_event_posters
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Album_covers
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Book_covers
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fair_use_magazine_covers
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fair_use_stamp_images
>
> Do you wish to rethink your position or do you have counter evidence?

All of those categories are probably the "safest" fair use images we
have. They are all transformative, they are usually used to illustrate
the media itself, and they don't compete with known markets (there is
no market that I know of for thumbnailed covers of books, anyways).
I'm not sure if that was what you were trying to illustrate or not,
but if that is meant to be a "scary" amount of fair use it is not very
scary, not in comparison with media which is not the cover of
something to be sold.

FF