[WikiEN-l] <Ref> tags s__k

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 10 09:42:16 UTC 2006

James Hare wrote:
> I think it should be reformed -- that is, it should be done the other way
> around.
>
> <ref name="foobar"/>
>
> then, at the bottom,
>
> <references>
> foobar=When "Thingamajig" Isn't Enough: A History of Foo Bar. Jim Cadigan.
> 1997
> </references>
>
> or something like that

The old {{ref}}/{{note}} template system was like that and I've
developed a strong distaste for it. I've done a lot of cleanup since
cite.php was introduced and there were a lot of articles with dangling
{{ref}}s that pointed nowhere or orphan {{note}}s that were no longer
referenced. Cite.php isn't perfect but I like that those errors either
can't happen at all (orphan footnotes don't exist) or produce obvious
visual effects that allow them to be easily noticed and fixed (refs with
no content appear as empty footnotes).

I suppose it's possible that by having it built into the wiki code
explicitly rather than tacked on with a template hack will allow some of
these issues to be made less of a problem, but my gut reaction is still
negative at the thought of going back to a system similar to the old one.