[WikiEN-l] Re: Potential Wikipedian growing pains

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 17:08:55 UTC 2005

--- JAY JG <jayjg at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From: Zephram Stark <zephramstark at yahoo.com>
> >
> >The only significant source of contention at
> Wikipedia is when people try
> >to unduly influence articles.
>
> Exactly.
>
> >Yet, it is possible to create a system where unduly
> influencing articles
> >cannot be achieved.
>
> But how can this benefit you?  If such a system
> actually worked, you'd be
> completely unable to edit.  Oh wait, we must already
> have such a system,
> because you are effectively unable to edit now.
>
> >if we are willing to let our influence be based on
> the quality of our edits
>
> We are; that's why you have absolutely no influence.
>
> Jay.

You know, Ill admit there is a certain ambiguity when
we talk about "IAR" as a "stick of dynamite, and as a
valve to allow "decent wikipedians" (our clique) to
trump "trolls, vandals" (undesirables, etc.).

To my mind there is less ambiguity when a recent
appointee to WP:AC forgets to mind WP:DBAD.

SV