[WikiEN-l] Quality tags

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 7 09:10:11 UTC 2005

Ed Poor wrote

>*We* must decide that we want some means of assuring readers that they
are getting reliable information.

Simple - just protect decent, informative versions of pages.  True, this
turns a wiki into a standard static web site; but hey, people will be
mightily assured.

I'm sort of amazed that the category system has't already been adapted to
give some sort of 'marks out of 10' to articles.  If there were real
community pressure to rate articles, I think that might have happened
already.  What I see is only the skeleton of such as system: stub tags,
featured-article status, and the reprehensible use of POV tags as comment
rather than trying to sort out disputes.

Trying to think laterally for the moment.  If articles were rated on a scale
of 1 to 100 for excellence, the lower rungs of the ladder would correspond
to poor articles, of various types: stubby, badly written, failing when
judged by policy (NPOV, NOR, CYS), non-encyclopedic.  This could be the
basis of an automated clean-up/deletion mechanism also, but would need
perhaps one other ingredient (to make a kind of 2-d plot).  What should that
be?

Charles