[WikiEN-l] [Ticket#: 115103-FW] Just wondering

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 24 09:37:06 UTC 2005

Geoff Burling wrote

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> For some the recognition and ownership of their efforts is important.
>> I've remarked how on some user pages there is a very long list of the
>> articles on which they have worked.  They are often dilligent about
>> keeping it up to date.  When they stop keeping it up the list it's a
>> good sign that they have begun learning to submerge their ego.

> While I agree with you, Ray, that it's a function of ego, I think at least
> some editors keep a list of articles on their Talk page to prove that
> they are making credible contributions to Wikipedia.

Ray's comments are pretty good nonsense.  One can perfectly well 'submerge
ego' - edit as an anon, for example - without thereby contributing much to
the community.  One can also have a personality, without making a cult of
it, let's say.  Mutual recognition mostly helps rather than hinders.

> I don't know. In the past when I've had the time, I would sometimes review
> the list of contributions of other editors whose work or erudition I
> admired.

Me too.  There are editors whose brag-lists I check, to see what has been
created in an area of interest.  This is a perfectly valid reason for those
lists being there.

Charles