[WikiEN-l] [Ticket#: 115103-FW] Just wondering

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Mar 24 06:31:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Ray Saintonge wrote:

> For some the recognition and ownership of their efforts is important.
> I've remarked how on some user pages there is a very long list of the
> articles on which they have worked.  They are often dilligent about
> keeping it up to date.  When they stop keeping it up the list it's a
> good sign that they have begun learning to submerge their ego.

While I agree with you, Ray, that it's a function of ego, I think at least
some editors keep a list of articles on their Talk page to prove that
they are making credible contributions to Wikipedia. Not in the sense
that Rick described in another post, but to seek validation for their
efforts. Wikipedia can be a very intimidating place for bookish people --
ironically, the same types we are attracted here.

> Most of us can't be bothered to go through somebody else's list unless
> we are trying to track down POV warrioring.

I don't know. In the past when I've had the time, I would sometimes review
the list of contributions of other editors whose work or erudition I
admired. It was by far more interesting than sifting thru [[Recent changes]]
or [[New articles]].

Geoff