I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonable block of user Blair P. Houghton by adminCryptoDerk

Blair P. Houghton blair at houghton.net
Wed Mar 16 17:20:53 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

>I dispute any suggestion that protection of a page is in any way *less*
>drastic than blocking a user.  If a page is protected, *nobody* can edit
>it.  If one or two over-enthusiastic revert warriors are blocked for up to
>a day, only their potential edits are lost--and since they're likely to be
>holding up editing by their reverts, their loss is often a very good
>thing.

There's one very important distinction:  if you block the page, the user
is still able to edit other pages.

I couldn't, for example, discuss the accusation of 3RR violation at all
in the fora on which it was being discussed.

I had to join this mailing list (which honestly I'd rather not have
cluttering up my in-box) to get ANY communication with the community.

I was able to send "user email", but have as yet received zero response,
and expected none from people whose intent was to railroad me.

I couldn't even edit my own user-talk page.

Blocking someone based on a knee-jerk reaction to n biased accusation is
a very bad policy, IMO.

--Blair