3RR again (was Re: I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonableblock of user Blair P. Houghton by adminCryptoDerk)

Blair P. Houghton blair at houghton.net
Wed Mar 16 18:04:21 UTC 2005

Tom Haws wrote:

> Andrew Lih wrote:
>
>> You have to break eggs to make an omelette, and sometimes you have to
>> let people see the futility of war. :)
>
> Fresh thinking and good point against *enforcing* the 3RR.

Maybe we need to find a way to get Hollywood to make more movies that
glorify the 3RR to the point of being anti-3RR movies...

> But I don't completely understand the next paragraph.  Can you restate?
>
>> The problem with 3RR as it's being practiced now -- it assigns blame
>> much too early in the process, without even an attempt to stabilize
>> the situation and let cooler heads prevail.

An anecdote to prove Anderew's point:

I had left the page for several hours to attend to other things and to
allow those still there to read the reference I had posted long ago, to
realize they were beinig wrong, and to accept the edits I made (which
they should have done the first time I made them, but they failed to do;
Taxman actually accused /me/ of failing to lead him by the hand to the
reference he failed to read).

I went back to resume the discussion from that point.

But in my very short absence I was blocked.  Since then the issue has
been unreasonable blocks and other abuses of the system, and there has
been no progress on the original issues with the page, nor with the
dispute in process on the page.

A small problem became a very large one, just as it was about to become
none.

Andrew observed that, and now you may.

--Blair