[WikiEN-l] Rules, expertise, and encyclopedic standards

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 9 15:44:47 UTC 2005

>  The notion that it will somehow create an
> encyclopedia filled with " nothing but dumbed-down pap" is a bald
assertion
> which has no basis in reality.

> Jay

I would agree that Ec overstates the case.  The point that seems to need
making is that none of the content policies actually _makes for_ brilliant
prose, which is one thing we also want.  If clumsily or over-insistently
applied, any reliability-oriented policy can make for lame writing.
Academic books don't read like Tom Clancy.

So I say that content policies are also subordinate to the goal of creating
awesomeness in the encyclopedia.  I like to think in terms of two extremes,
Blandopedia and Gonzopedia.  The spaced-out stuff has to be squeezed out.
But playing safe will only tend to accentuate the bias towards WP's existing
strengths.

Charles