[WikiEN-l] Censorship campaign: Ann Coulter article

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Mar 8 20:58:31 UTC 2005

I've just about used up my quota of reversions at [[Ann Coulter]], where her critics are censoring my explanation of the campaign to discredit her.

Michael Moore's blog is using a 30-second excerpt from a lengthy interview with Coulter to promote their view that Coulter makes things up and "refuses correction". I am trying to write a Neutral passage of text that balances two POVs:

1. That Coulter makes things up all the time, and her remarks about Canada "sending troops" to Vietnam are FALSE, which proves that Coulter has an anti-liberal bias and is not a trustworthy source of info.

2. That Coulter takes liberals to task for distorting history, and her remarks about Canada "sending troops" to Vietnam are TRUE, which proves that liberals are biased and in need of being set straight.

User:Benna reverted my first attempt ("Removed serious pov") and User:Gamaliel reverted my second attempt ("rm blatant pro-Coulter defense).

I don't understand the reasoning here. Describing the points of view of anti-Coulter or pro-Coulter advocates is certainly on-topic, for an article on a controversial writer. The fact that my text was ABOUT somebody's point of view doesn't mean it VIOLATES our "Neutral Point Of View" policy. Nor does the fact that PART of my text balances the anti-Coulter criticism with a pro-Coulter defense invalidate its relevance to the article.

It smacks of censorship, like all our contributors want to have about Coulter's written or broadcast comments is the anti-Coulter point of view. That would make a very unbalanced article. It might even constitute a [[one-sided argument]] (q.v.) that "Coulter is bad", which would set Wikipedia up as condemning her. I thought Wikipedia wasn't supposed to take sides in ANY controversy.

Uncle Ed

(cur) (last)  20:03, Mar 8, 2005 Gamaliel (→Coulter's communication style - rm blatant pro-Coulter defense)
(cur) (last)  17:36, Mar 8, 2005 Ed Poor (If the POV is serious, why remove it? Please meet me in talk.)
(cur) (last)  02:26, Mar 8, 2005 Chocolateboy m (→Criticism of Canada - + colon)
(cur) (last)  02:03, Mar 8, 2005 Chocolateboy m (→Criticism of Canada - logical quotation + space)
(cur) (last)  01:27, Mar 8, 2005 Benna (Removed serious pov)