[WikiEN-l] Censorship campaign: Ann Coulter article

Stephen Forrest stephen.forrest at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:40:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:58:31 -0800, Poor, Edmund W <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:

[snip]
> Michael Moore's blog is using a 30-second excerpt from a lengthy interview with Coulter to promote their view that Coulter makes things up and "refuses correction". I am trying to write a Neutral passage of text that balances two POVs:
>
> 1. That Coulter makes things up all the time, and her remarks about Canada "sending troops" to Vietnam are FALSE, which proves that Coulter has an anti-liberal bias and is not a trustworthy source of info.
>
> 2. That Coulter takes liberals to task for distorting history, and her remarks about Canada "sending troops" to Vietnam are TRUE, which proves that liberals are biased and in need of being set straight.

Clearly the government of Canada did not send troops to Vietnam.
Clearly also, Canadian citizens fought alongside Americans in the
Vietnam.

However, I believe the only reasonable neutral interpretation of
"Canada sent troops to Vietnam", in the context provided (when talking
about the actions of the Canadian government w.r.t. wars) is that the
Canadian government sent soldiers from its army to Vietnam.

I quite agree that the anti-Coulter arguments deserve balance, and I
think it's important to mention that Canadians did serve there (in
Coulter's defence).  But I also think that suggesting that Canada
*did* send troops is an inaccurate characterization of the facts
surrounding that particular POV.

Steve