[WikiEN-l] Naughty/violent pictures

Arno M redgum46 at lycos.com
Wed Feb 16 01:56:11 UTC 2005

"Regarding the recent brouhaha over the photos, what
I'll say is this.  If Wikipedia decides as a community
it will display explicit photos of sexual acts, then I
won't stop editing, but I'm afraid I'll have to stop
recommending it to most of the people I currently
recommend it to (normally families with bright teenage
children, given my work in a high school).  You can
call me, my friends, and my acquaintances all the
names you like (compare us to Nazis, if Godwin will
let you), but those are the cold hard facts."

I agree with these sentiments, James.

I won't go into details, but I went through the experience of being called
a Nazi for opposing a porn link once, and the culprit even got the backing of
some sysops for doing that.

I agree also with what you said about Nick Berg in another post.
I know that it was debated at length here, but the decision to have
and retain that graphic photo of his severed head and links to sites
showing his murder is something I label a disgrace. In addition to its
unsuitable for minors nature, this decision would also have suited the
objectives of the terrorists who wanted this to be shown throughout the
world. It is not an encycopedia's task to do PR for terrorists, especially
ones who are as ruthless as these.