[WikiEN-l] Autofellatio - NO to that image

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Feb 13 05:16:55 UTC 2005

Hello Blankfaze,

>WE PRESENT INFORMATION
>(an image of autofellatio is, no matter what any idiot argues, information)
>WE DO NOT CENSOR INFORMATION

while I happen to agree with your opinion, I would note that reasonable
people can disagree about this. Certainly some images will offend a
great many people, while others will only offend few.

Now, I would argue that it is wrong and POV for us to remove them -- and
if we did that using this standard, we would have to remove many
political images on the same grounds. But, I don't think it's wrong for
us to provide people with meaningful labels and allow them not to see
certain images. This could be done right now using stylesheets by
putting the whole image in a <div id="male-sexual-act"> tag.

Users could then hide such images by associating the ID with the
attribute "display:none;" in their stylesheet. No POV on our part - just
someone deciding on their own what they don't want to see. We could have
well. In spite of Christianity being a widespread delusion, some people
from different cultures might be offended by explicit religious imagery
featuring a half-naked man nailed to a cross and covered in blood.
Again, we could give them the choice to hide such imagery.

It's a bit like image copyright tagging. If we start doing this now, we
can work on improving the tools to filter in the future.

Regards,

Erik