[WikiEN-l] Autofellatio - NO to that image

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 07:04:58 UTC 2005

--- blankfaze <blankfaze at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:30:00 +0600, Arno M <redgum46 at lycos.com> wrote:
> Sir, this was by far the dumbest opinion I've heard in a while.

That is unreasonably rude.

> Reminded me why I have such little faith in humanity.

That would explain the rudeness.

> For the millionth time:
> WE ARE AN ENCYCLOPAEDIA
> WE PRESENT INFORMATION
> (an image of autofellatio is, no matter what any idiot argues, information)
> WE DO NOT CENSOR INFORMATION

For the first and last time:
We are a general encyclopedia with a general readership. If the informative
value of any piece of info or image is outweighed by its shock or arousal
qualities, then a very valid editorial decision is to remove that peice of info
or image.

And since our audience is a general one, we have to consider the fact that many
people may want to read about this topic (or Goatse.cz for that matter) without
having to see an image of it.

For the great majority of things this distinction is meaningless (and we need
not pander to a puritanical minority who may have a taboo against showing
women's feet or whatever), but for issues where the outside world makes a clear
distinction, such as sexual acts, we can make some reasonable guidelines.

Less controversial things, such as clinical photos of naked people's bits and
pieces or famous works of art that depict nakedness, can and should be
displayed inline in an article *where* appropriate and tasteful.  The reason;
their informative aspects outweigh any shock or arousal value.

These are are fairly subjective things that reasonable people can disagree on.
But some common sense and a good long look at our audience and their needs (not
what we think should be forced on them for their own good) will help guide us.

I also imagine that different Wikipedia language versions will come up with
whatever policies best fit them.

-- mav