[WikiEN-l] Re: Consumerium

Dan Drake dd at dandrake.com
Tue May 11 18:25:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 22:03:07 UTC, Caroline Ford
<caroline at secretlondon.me.uk> wrote:

> uninvited at nerstrand.net wrote:
>
> >Anyone who believes that the trolls will go away if not fed should take some time to review:
> >
> >http://develop.consumerium.org
> >
> >Among other features of the site are a number of articles that attempt to organize leftist POV authors and get
> >them to edit at Wikipedia.
> Do you all really believe that WP is dominated by the left? All I ever
> seem to see is US rightists and nationalists. If Wikipedia was dominated
> by the left it would be a much more pleasant place to edit.

Well, I don't believe it; but I also don't quite understand this thread.
Uninvited's message didn't say that Wikipedia is dominated by leftists, or
anything of the sort; it said that that website was trying to organize
certain kinds of leftists to work on Wikipedia. Certain kinds, meaning (as
far as I see in a quick look at their site) peaceful pro-nature people who
want only health and joy and threatening people's lives, as Tim  Starling
showed us. (*)  What does their _desire_ for Wikipedia to reflect the
views certain kinds of leftist have to do with its _being_ that way, or
with our thinking that it is?

(*) This is unfair, of course. It appears that some people there properly
despise 142.)

Personal bias disclosure: I'm in favor of ecologically sound peace and
joy, not unlike what their main page seems to claim. If they want to
participate here, playing by the rules, I'll welcome them. If people with
the opposite view do, I'll have to put up with them.

What others might see as left-wing or right-wing bias (or pro- or anti-
US) I see as the result of its attracting lots of seriously unsound people
to sound off. It goes with the territory. We each see the worst junk as
being the junk on the Other Side, and get the impression that the O.S. is
dominating.  But perhaps (if you will allow me the liberty of quoting an
American) error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to
combat it.

--
Dan Drake
dd at dandrake.com
http://www.dandrake.com

Whoever tries to imagine perfection simply reveals his own emptiness.
 --George Orwell