[WikiEN-l] What is a minor change?

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Wed Jan 28 01:54:38 UTC 2004

On Jan 27, 2004, at 10:03 AM, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

> I mark these as minor:
> * Nearly all my grammar and spelling fixes
> * Copy-edits that DO NOT CHANGE the meaning
>
> I usually don't mark these as minor:
> * Copy-edits that subtly correct a nuance of POV
> * Re-writes and re-phrasing which PROBABLY DON'T CHANGE the
>   meaning, but which some other user might think is a sly attempt
>   to inject my own POV (in a controversial article).

I tend to make a distinction between substantive (major) and
non-substantive (minor) edits.  Anything that changes the meaning in
*any way*, anything that someone could disagree with after but not
before, is major, anything else is minor.  That way no one is surprised
by my changes, and watchers can safely ignore anything marked minor by
me.  But since that's just *my* rule, and no one's keeping track of
what who considers minor, it's only so useful...

Peter

                        A house without walls cannot fall.
           Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org