[WikiEN-l] Re: What is a minor change?

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Jan 29 18:06:43 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

> There is no official definition of what a "minor change" is. My
> working definition is "anything that my fellow contributors would
> agree is minor".

The semi-intuition that has established itself within the community of
Wikipedia regulars as to what a "minor edit" should be, goes somewhat
counter to what a newbie would think is intuitively "minor".

The opposite of minor is major. I believe most newbies would think a
major edit would be a rewrite of a section of the article or the entire
article. Addition of a sentence, although it adds actual information to
the article, is not generally called a "major" edit of the article.

What regulars have come to think of as "minor" is what I would call
"trivial".

Timwi