[WikiEN-l] Mosque as military target

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Fri Aug 27 18:42:51 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W stated for the record:

> What is the stance of the Islamic community on militants taking refuge
> inside a mosque? Are they permitted to use mosques as military bases?
>
> What is the stance of the Islamic community on armies attacking
> militants who take refuge inside mosques?
>
> Who is the desecrator:
>
> * the armed men who take refuge inside the mosque and use it as a base
> to attack enemies; or,
> * those who attack the armed men inside the mosque?
>
> I've heard that in international law, both sides to a conflict should
> avoid damaging holy places. But I've also heard that if soldiers from
> one side occupy a "holy place", then the other side is no longer bound
> by international law. That is, the holy place loses its protected status
> and becomes a legitimate target.
>
> Where in the Wikipedia can I find information about these matters?
>
> Ed Poor

The Hague Convention Respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land,
Annex to the Convention, Article 27 (signed 1907) provides:

"In sieges and bombardments all necessary steps must be taken to spare,
as far as possible, buildings dedicated to religions, art, science, or
charitable purposes, historic monument, hospitals, and places where the
sick and wounded are collected, provided they are not being used at the
time for military purposes.

"It is the dury of the besieged to indicate the presence of such
buildings or places by distinctive and visible signs, which shall be
notified to the enemy beforehand."

Similar clauses can be found in numerous later conventions and treaties.

Now go thou and Wikipediate.

--
  Sean Barrett     | I got the white stars you wanted, but
  sean at epoptic.com | I couldn't find any red hearts, yellow