[WikiEN-l] Mosque as military target

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Aug 27 18:15:34 UTC 2004

What is the stance of the Islamic community on militants taking refuge
inside a mosque? Are they permitted to use mosques as military bases?

What is the stance of the Islamic community on armies attacking
militants who take refuge inside mosques?

Who is the desecrator:

* the armed men who take refuge inside the mosque and use it as a base
to attack enemies; or,
* those who attack the armed men inside the mosque?

I've heard that in international law, both sides to a conflict should
avoid damaging holy places. But I've also heard that if soldiers from
one side occupy a "holy place", then the other side is no longer bound
by international law. That is, the holy place loses its protected status
and becomes a legitimate target.

Where in the Wikipedia can I find information about these matters?

Ed Poor