[WikiEN-l] Mosque as military target

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at yurkycross.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 21:04:44 UTC 2004

On 27 Aug 2004, at 7:15 pm, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

> What is the stance of the Islamic community on armies attacking
> militants who take refuge inside mosques?

Well you probably won't get to know the opinions of those Muslims who
are there. It seems most journalists are been rounded up to make way
for a little bit of US-taxpayer-funded massacre.

> Who is the desecrator:
>
> * the armed men who take refuge inside the mosque and use it as a base
> to attack enemies; or,
> * those who attack the armed men inside the mosque?

In terms of established law it seems you already have your answer. In
terms of morality, when you're the armed men and women of a government
that has committed the supreme international war crime (according to
the Nuremberg Tribunal), a war of aggression, and illegally occupies
that nation on spurious justification I think those attacking the men
inside the mosque could be regarded as the desecrators.

Christiaan