[WikiEN-l] unfair blocking

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Aug 4 04:54:13 UTC 2004

Rick wrote:
> Since I was involved in the redirecting and reverting, I was not
>allowed to protect the page, much as I would have liked to.

I detect an anomaly or contradiction in our policies.  An admin is not
allowed to get into a fight with a user over the content of a page and
then protect the page, but the admin *is* allowed to block that user
after having fought with them?

I offer no solution to this; I just pose it as a problem.

In a case like this, what I would have advised Rick to do is just make
a little note, either to himself, or in a public place (perhaps we
need a standard public place for such things), in effect saying:
"Something weird going on _here_ and _here_, check it out in 24
hours."

Then, 24 hours later, simply delete the duplicate page and be done
with it.

This has the same effect on the site in 24 hours, but it also relieves
Rick of the need to fight with a user who is plainly doing something
goofy.

The old saying "Don't feed the trolls" is very apt in these
situations.  Someone who is behaving in this fashion is very likely
acting, Rick, just to get a rise out of you.  Deprive them of that
gift.  Let them be stupid, and then just revert it all 24 hours later.

This will save you a lot of grief, and it will remove from them the
joy of getting into a fight.  They live for that, remember.

--Jimbo