[WikiEN-l] unfair blocking

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Aug 4 07:14:01 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>Rick wrote:
>

>>Since I was involved in the redirecting and reverting, I was not
>>allowed to protect the page, much as I would have liked to.
>>

>I detect an anomaly or contradiction in our policies.  An admin is not
>allowed to get into a fight with a user over the content of a page and
>then protect the page, but the admin *is* allowed to block that user
>after having fought with them?
>
>I offer no solution to this; I just pose it as a problem.

I didn't think we had such an anomaly.  It comes as quite a surprise to
me that a party to a dispute is supposedly allowed to ban his or her
opponent in the dispute.  Generally using sysop powers for personal
disputes is considered a misuse of power, for the exact same reasons
protecting a page is.  Similarly, arbitration committee members recuse
themselves from cases involving users with whom they've had disputes.
Certainly if there's enough of an involvement that protecting a page
would be inappropriate, banning the user would be highly inappropriate,
not to mention quite unseemly.

-Mark