[WikiEN-l] Page load problems

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Tue Jul 8 01:44:20 UTC 2003

[crossposted to wikipedia-l]

Brion Vibber wrote:

> When I stare at mysql's process list to see the slowpokes, who comes up
> on top?
>
> Search, search, search.

Some say we need to buy another server, others say the developers need
to speed up the code. I think we need to to both.

We're growing very fast, but we could have grown even faster if we
wouldn't have speed problems since far over a year now. It's not only
that our editors could write more articles in fewer time, many articles
don't get writen because people leave the project out of frustration or
presumably more often don't even start editing. Many edits got lost
because the server didn't respond or people didn't wait long enough.

So the Wikimedia Foundation needs money to buy new servers. Besides
waiting for donations I suggest that we take part in as many bookshop
affiliate programs as possible. It doesn't have the downsides of
banners, because it's totaly unobtrusive and neutral. Many Wikipedians
would visit their favourite online bookstore through our site if they
knew the foundation will profit from it. I can't predict how much money
we will make in the end, but it's worth trying.

Kurt