[WikiEN-l] Page load problems

Brion Vibber vibber at aludra.usc.edu
Mon Jul 7 23:06:29 UTC 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, webmaster wrote:

> Once again today, someone is complaining about page load time on the
> pump.  I am beginning to suspect that this is a bandwidth problem.

It is sooooooooo not bandwidth.

Typical usage is 50-80 k/s each on larousse and pliny. (Usage is a touch
lower on larousse, which serves the English wikipedia, because it's set up
to compress cachable pages that are sent to non-logged-in users for about
25% total savings; and also pliny carries the big database backup
downloads.)

I've gotten ca 1000 k/sec downloads of backup dumps from uni here, even
when the wiki was hella slow.

If you'll look at: http://www.wikipedia.org/stats/usage_200307.html
you'll see that peak usage does not exceed average by that much.

> What has been done to investigate the reason behind this problem, and
> what were the results of said tests?  I haven't really heard a
> straight answer from anyone saying what the problem is, just
> speculation.

When I stare at mysql's process list to see the slowpokes, who comes up
on top?

Search, search, search.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)