[WikiEN-l] Re: blocking user name

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 23:19:07 UTC 2003

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:31:48 -0700
From: Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu>
Subject: [WikiEN-l] Re: Michael again *sigh*
To: Discussion list for English-language Wikipedia
	<wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>

>Will this be working on any wikipedia as well ?

I don't know.  Would you want it on [[fr:]]?

-- Toby

Me ? No :-)))

Or Utilisateur:Papotages would have been banned before
I was back from my holidays :-)

I think several french would be very happy to have
that feature. But there was never any serious
discussion since we considered a "fact" we could not.
Likely, f the feature is now possible, it will be
transfered.

Till now, we succeeded not to have any user name ever
banned (except perhaps Mulot, but that was in phase I,
I am still shivering in the memory of permanent
deletion). The reason probably is that Jimbo is not
able to follow some of the discussions.

If the feature is available, it will be used. And
probably not with Jimbo seal. Till now, conflict was
eventually "solved" through mass reversion and
protection of page. I suppose now it will perhaps be
through blocking.

It is easy to see on RC that a user is mass reverted.

It is not easy to see a page is protected (essentially
because people don't put headers, do not list it, and
others unprotect). But we may notice the user
protesting vehemently

However, if the user is blocked, we may not even
realise it (except for pure bliss coming down the
wikipedia after a fight). I wonder if it might not be
relevant to have somehow a warning somewhere telling
us that a user name has been blocked since last
connection. Otherwise, we might not notice and be able
to unblock him perhaps.

Just thoughts. Setting up blocking of names (which
will be block with the ip, so entirely prevent the
user to communicate with us) is just changing the
concept. It requires to adapt.