[Textbook-l] Re:Wikibooks

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 20:45:13 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote:
>If the solution is this one, it should be discussed
>whether the current english textbook should be
>moved from http://textbook.wikipedia.org/ to
>http://en.textbook.wikipedia.org/ .

It would either be http://en.wikibooks.org or http://wikibooks.org/en/.

http://wikibooks.org would be a multilanguage portal.

However, I'm warming to the idea of internally segregating the projects as I
explained before, instead of external segregation (subdomain and different
MediaWiki installations; just like on Wikipedia). All I really care about is
having a clean database, so if language category tags and a user preference
to set interface language can do most of what we want, then, IMO, let's plan
to do that. But doing that requires brand new changes to MediaWiki, while
doing things the old way only requires adding the wiki book functionality
(not an absolute requirement before internationalization, but IMO /very/
important).

Hey, I just got a neat idea; language category tags can be used to set a users
interface language. So if they visit a module that has a French language tag,
then their interface will magically become French. Then when they back out to
an English module, their interface automatically becomes English again! User
preferences would then be used to override this if the user wants.

This would also be really neat to have on meta.

Oh and this is about internationalization, so it is very appropriate to have
this thread on Intlwiki-l. The mailing lists are going to eventually be moved
to @wikimedia.org in the near future anyway since we are no longer just about
Wikipedia.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)