[teampractices] Code review before writing new code

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 11 04:50:50 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 06:35 AM, Antoine Musso wrote:
> Le 08/06/2015 10:51, Quim Gil a écrit :
>> Er, sorry, the previous email just left my mailbox too fast.
>>
>> The proposal below has a related Phabricator
>> task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101686
>>
>> https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Health_check_survey_results/FY2014-15_Q3
>> indicates a growing concern about code review. Our code review queues
>> keep growing, I'd say still faster than our concerns, and this trend can
>> only lead to some variation of *collapse*.
>>
>> http://korma.wmflabs.org/browser/gerrit_review_queue.html shows these
>> monthly snapshots of open chagesets waiting for review (-1 and work in
>> progress are not counted):
>>
>> May 2013: 250
>> May 2014: 1033
>> May 2015: 1549
> <snip>
>
> Hello,
>
> When I look at the korma page, the two first pages are for MediaWiki
> extensions that have been abandoned ages ago.

Yes.  I didn't verify the "abandoned" part, but at most three of the
first 10 in 'Ranking of repositories' are WMF-deployed.

For future reference, the three are Gerrit, stud, some Android app
called 'translate' which *maybe* WMF is still maintaining but I don't
think so).

The first 10 are SemanticDrilldown, MsUpload, ExternalArticles, gerrit,
SVGEdit, Configure, Debian packaging for stud, Lingo, SocialProfile,
'translate'.

These metrics would be far more meaningful if they were separated into
WMF-deployed software and non-WMF deployed.

Matt Flaschen