[teampractices] Code review before writing new code

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Mon Jun 8 10:35:39 UTC 2015

Le 08/06/2015 10:51, Quim Gil a écrit :
> Er, sorry, the previous email just left my mailbox too fast.
>
> The proposal below has a related Phabricator
> task: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101686
>
> https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Health_check_survey_results/FY2014-15_Q3
> indicates a growing concern about code review. Our code review queues
> keep growing, I'd say still faster than our concerns, and this trend can
> only lead to some variation of *collapse*.
>
> http://korma.wmflabs.org/browser/gerrit_review_queue.html shows these
> monthly snapshots of open chagesets waiting for review (-1 and work in
> progress are not counted):
>
> May 2013: 250
> May 2014: 1033
> May 2015: 1549
<snip>

Hello,

When I look at the korma page, the two first pages are for MediaWiki
extensions that have been abandoned ages ago.  Either because it was a
one time proof of concept or it has migrated to GitHub.   If we could
archive / move to an attic all the bitrotting repositories that will
surely help.

mediawiki/core itself has 500+ open changes or a good third of the debt.
  If one could generate a list of changes per authors and then ask each
author to move its patches forward, that would help.

Remember the main reason to have a premerge review workflow was to put
the responsibility of review in the hands of the author.  If people
don't babysit their patches, there is not much we can do I guess.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso