[teampractices] Code review before writing new code

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 11 13:40:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Matthew Flaschen <mflaschen at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> When I look at the korma page, the two first pages are for MediaWiki
>> extensions that have been abandoned ages ago.
>>

> Yes.  I didn't verify the "abandoned" part, but at most three of the first
> 10 in 'Ranking of repositories' are WMF-deployed.

Some of the very old open patches have been addressed, and the list has
been refreshed now (it used to refresh on a daily basis, I have filed
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T102112 to improve the current refresh
frequency.

These metrics would be far more meaningful if they were separated into
> WMF-deployed software and non-WMF deployed.

We had this before, but it caused two problems:

* keeping
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Key_Wikimedia_software_projects up to
date and in sync with korma was not easy
* if non-Wikimedia repos receive little attention when they are mixed with
the rest, imagine what happens when we take them out our sight.

Most of these repos only have 1-2 patches. Cleaning the way is relatively
easy in half of the cases, especially if we agree that the pragmatic "let's
clean the backlog in non-critical areas" is preferable to the impossible
goal of "let's be absolutely nice with every single patch in some
unmaintained repo that is stuck during more than a year". I have been
marking old quiet changesets in likely abandoned repos with "[WIP]" to get
them out of the way, sometimes with the help of Jenkins bringing a -1 after
the change.

After a bit of superficial cleaning, the WMF maintained repos that need
more attention will start to emerge. As of now:

12. UploadWizard
16. Wikistats
21. MassMessage
22. Campaigns
30. Echo

These names start sounding familiar, right?

http://korma.wmflabs.org/browser/gerrit_review_queue.html