[Licom-l] Removing GFDL 1.2-only images from wikipedia articles

Ryan Kaldari kaldari at gmail.com
Fri May 22 20:17:52 UTC 2009

Unfortunately, it seems the wording of the GFDL license is so vague it
is very difficult to tell under what circumstances it would be a
strong copyleft (apart from obvious derivatives). It seems to me that
everyone just interprets the GFDL license according to whatever they
want it to say. The people who use GFDL 1.2 as a de facto
non-commercial license tend to say that it is a strong copyleft. The
people who want to freely mix GFDL and other licenses say it isn't. Of
course it all depends on how you define the terms "modified work",
"adaptation", "combined work", "collection", and "aggregation of
independent works". Luckily, the wording in cc-by-sa is much clearer.
cc-by-sa explicitly defines an encyclopedia as a "collection" and says
that "share alike" doesn't have to apply to collections (as they are
not "adaptations").

If the consensus is that no one really knows under what circumstances
GFDL is a strong copyleft, I'll just leave the matter alone for now.

Ryan Kaldari