[Licom-l] Sitenotice for readers?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon May 25 22:22:01 UTC 2009

Right now the licensing results notice is being shown to editors.

Now that the WMF has committed itself to adopting CC-BY-SA, I'm
wondering if we should be showing this announcement to readers in
addition to editors?  The press coverage of the announcement has been
very sparse (copyright issues are too esoteric for the mainstream
press, I guess), but at the same time we do want to get news of this
change out to the larger world of reusers and copyleft content
creators.  In particular, having some lead time before the GFDL
relicensing deadline would be nice.

The most brute force method at WMF's disposal is to announce this news
to all readers through a global sitenotice.  That would get the news
out there to the larger non-editor community, though presumably there
are also many readers who are unlikely to care.

I'm wondering how other people would feel about such a step?

-Robert Rohde