[Labs-l] ToolLabs back up

Legoktm legoktm.wikipedia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 04:24:19 UTC 2015

On 01/30/2015 01:11 PM, Dan Andreescu wrote:
> FYI: some of us in Analytics are talking about a "graduate labs" kind of
> environment.  Which would be more stable and treated a bit less
> experimentally.  It's not something we're going to push for yet, but I
> was wondering how people here felt about it.  It feels like our current
> labs environment is improving at an amazing rate, but sometimes we might
> want to prioritize stability over improvement.

What John said, plus moving away from tool labs seems like a step in the
wrong direction. Tool labs has 3 members of ops working on it, plus
other volunteer roots. If you started your own "graduate labs"
environment, I doubt you'd have anywhere near the same level of support,
and would instead be splitting the limited labs resources.

That said, some projects/tools should be moved off into their own labs
projects (quarry and wdq come to mind), but trying to build an
alternative tool labs isn't going to work.

-- Legoktm