[Labs-l] What are "projects" and how should I use them (+intro)

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 19:30:37 UTC 2012

> Question about projects:
> I'm starting to look at what it will take to transition some systems that
> are using the WMDE toolserver cluster over to labs.  Some of these systems
> are managed by other people in my research lab (e.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SuggestBot).  It seems like a "project"
> might be the best way to organize our accounts/instances.  However, I'm
> unclear on how projects work and what they provide.  The only page I can
> find that discusses projects is
> http://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Terminology.  Is the a doc page
> I've missed?  If not, can someone give me an introduction and comment on
> when projects are intended to be used?

Docs for the terminology need to be updated, but are at least
partially correct. A project is a security concept. It's a group of
users, a subset of which are given extra permissions as defined by
roles: sysadmin and netadmin. Projects are meant to reflect real world
projects. Like tools or bots.

Your bots should very likely be part of the bots project.

- Ryan