[Labs-l] What are "projects" and how should I use them (+intro)

Aaron Halfaker aaron.halfaker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:35:27 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

Labs is an exciting project that I'm happy to take part in.  I don't know
what the norms are, but I figure it is good to be known so I figured I'd
give an intro before I ask a question

*Intro:*
I'm Aaron Halfaker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EpochFail).  I wear
three hats when it comes to my work with the labs clusters.  During the
day, I'm a researcher working at the University of Minnesota studying
online communities like Wikipedia/other Wikimedia projects.  By night, I
work with the Editor Engagements team at the WMF doing data analysis and
experimental design work.  By late night, I turn my research into tools for
Wikipedia editors.

*Question about projects:*
I'm starting to look at what it will take to transition some systems that
are using the WMDE toolserver cluster over to labs.  Some of these systems
are managed by other people in my research lab (e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SuggestBot).  It seems like a "project"
might be the best way to organize our accounts/instances.  However, I'm
unclear on how projects work and what they provide.  The only page I can
find that discusses projects is
http://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Terminology.  Is the a doc page
I've missed?  If not, can someone give me an introduction and comment on
when projects are intended to be used?

Thanks!
-Halfak
https://labsconsole.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Halfak