[Labs-l] Upgrade complete

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 29 16:20:56 UTC 2012

On 8/29/12 10:25 AM, [[w:en:User:Madman]] wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Steve Slevinski <slevin at signpuddle.net> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> The upgrade seems to have confused mysql on my instance.
>>
>> After a lot of investigation and poking around and a few reboots, I was able
>> to produce the error:
>> (Can't contact the database server: Unknown database 'testwiki' (localhost))
> It wasn't the upgrade; this is just probably the first time your MySQL
> server's restarted. There's been an issue with the MySQL manifest for
> some time. The issue can be reproduced by creating a new instance,
> running puppetd -tv, then restarting MySQL; this causes the problem
> you report.
Thanks for keeping tabs on this bug.  I believe that I fixed it a few
weeks ago, with these patches:

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/17619/
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/20913/

Of course, those fixes don't help folks who set up their instances
during the period of breakage.  That problem can (probably) be addressed
by adding the puppet var mysql_datadir and changing it to point to the
desired data dir.

(Although, I don't believe that that change helped Steve S, so I may be
misinformed or he may have something else going on.)

> If I recall correctly, MyISAM files are in /var/lib/mysql, which is
> the server's initial data directory when it starts successfully, then
> it's changed to /mnt/mysql and that's where InnoDB files are(?). I
> believe I ended up moving testwiki to /mnt/mysql and running
> mysql_install_db to recreate the mysql directory in that data
> directory. I reported this on August 8th to a root who was already
> aware of the problem. *shrug*
Sorry that this fix didn't get publicized.  If there's a bugzilla entry
about it, please refer me to it and I will update accordingly!

-Andrew