[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Password security

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Jan 31 15:54:41 UTC 2006

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

>brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com) wrote:
>

>>While running some password security checks, I found that a handful of sysop
>>accounts had blank passwords. Probably some non-sysop accounts also had blanks.
>>
>>Affected accounts can reset the password by the automated e-mail
>>password gadget on the login form, unless of course they didn't put in an e-mail.
>>

>This is seriously wrong. It should be completely reversed.
>
>A lot of people have just lost their account because of this,
>and it wasn't even announced that it was coming.
>This part of the problem could be reduced if the change was
>announced in advance.

For those users who do have e-mail addresses for their accounts, were
there any provisions done to try and send a simple e-mail to those users
asking them to update their accounts with stronger passwords?
 Especially sysops?

While I support the actions of Brian to try and strengthen the passwords
for user accounts, some internal notice should have been given in more
widely read forums, of which Wikitech-l and Foundation-l are not really
widely read forums for the typical Wikimedian.  Actually, I don't know
of a good place, although there are several places that would work to at
least notify a few more people than simply the e-mail lists.

I feel for Brian, however.  He is trying to secure the servers from
idiots and vandals when Wikimedia policies encourage idiots and vandals
to participate and wreck things.

--
Robert Scott Horning