[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Password security

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jan 31 20:43:42 UTC 2006

Robert Scott Horning wrote:
> For those users who do have e-mail addresses for their accounts, were
> there any provisions done to try and send a simple e-mail to those users
> asking them to update their accounts with stronger passwords? Especially
> sysops?

For sysops I could track down, yes.

> While I support the actions of Brian to try and strengthen the passwords
> for user accounts, some internal notice should have been given in more
> widely read forums, of which Wikitech-l and Foundation-l are not really
> widely read forums for the typical Wikimedian.  Actually, I don't know
> of a good place, although there are several places that would work to at
> least notify a few more people than simply the e-mail lists.

I can't predict every possibly place people might read on hundreds of wikis,
hence my announcement on three mailing lists and the English Wikipedia Village
Pump. From there people are, I assume, still copying relevant announcements to
their local haunts.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)