[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Password security

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jan 31 04:41:18 UTC 2006

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> So, while dictionary-checking sysops' passwords make a lot of sense,
> there's very little point in limiting passwords of the non-privileged accounts.

At the moment we don't have a separate switch for sysops, nor any control which
would prevent blank-password accounts from being made into sysops. I'd rather
risk disabling a few accounts temporarily than keep the incredibly dangerous
sysop accounts open (which could be used potenially to great destructive effect).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)