[Advocacy Advisors] Your Public Policy Schedule for Wikimania

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:56:27 UTC 2015

Hi everyone!

My social media timelines are overflowing with posts about packing, flying
and eating tacos and cats in suitcases, which can only mean Wikimania is
just around the corner.

As last year, we have a pretty generous amount of public policy events set
up. Here are some (but not all) of them. Conveniently ordered

   - Wikimedia Conference Follow-Up Day
   <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMCON_Follow-Up_Day>,
   Wednesday, July 15, 13:00hrs, Conference venue
   Inform people about the movement goals we want to set, get the
   conversation going and people thinking so they have some time to reflect
   ahead of the talks.

   - The Twilight of EU Copyright Reform, or, How to reform with a hammer,
   <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/The_Twilight_of_EU_Copyright_Reform,_or,_How_to_reform_with_a_hammer>
   Friday, July 17, 15:00hrs
   Once again we're looking at how crowd-sourced advocacy works, but this
   time expect concrete examples of what Wikimedia did in Europe to try and
   influence the copyright reform to include text that supports free
   knowledge. You will see legislative texts proposed and by us and also get
   an explanation why certain parts didn't make it to the final version. We'll
   also discuss the question of how an international public policy structure
   should look like.

   - #npbmex <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/npbmex>, Friday July
   17, 20:00, Gathering at the lobby of the One Almeda Hotel (Av. Juárez
   88)
   - Informal and social meet-up of all people interested in net politics
   (copyright, network infrastructure, data protection, telecoms regulation,
   etc.). Will mingle Wikimaniacs with local net activists.

   - Public Policy Meetup
   <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_meet-up>,
   Saturday, July 18, 10:30, Conference venue (Chapters' village)
   Wikimedians interested in public policy are invited to get to know each
   other, discuss the issues, plans and solutions at Wikimania.

   - Amplify Free Knowledge with Public Policy
   <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Amplify_Free_Knowledge_with_Public_Policy>
   Sunday, July 19, 11:00hrs, Conference venue
   The WMF legal team will discuss the core policy issues lay out some
   initial next steps that to better articulate our positions and make it
   easier for volunteers to work locally to build better public policy for the
   Wikimedia movement.

   - Copyright reform in the EU - What you can expect to happen
   <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Copyright_reform_in_the_EU_-_What_you_can_expect_to_happen>,
   Sunday, July 19, 11:30hrs, Conference venue
   The inside scoop by Julia Reda, Member of the European Parliament and
   rapporteur on the copyright implementation report. What are the European
   Parliament and the European Commission likely to propose?

   - Panel Discussion on regional policy, politics and freedom of
   expression Sunday, July 19, 16:30hrs, Conference venue
   with Katitza Rodriguez (EFF), Paz Peña (Derechos Digitales from Chile),
   Renata Avila (Web We Want), Article 19, R3DMX