[Advocacy Advisors] Your Public Policy Schedule for Wikimania

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 10:17:57 UTC 2015

Hi Dimi,

Thanks for sharing this. There's lots going on!

Unfortunately I won't be at Wikimania but is there going to be a central
place where resources will be collated so I can take a look afterwards?

Thank you, hope you all have a great time!

Stevie

On 13 July 2015 at 10:56, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> My social media timelines are overflowing with posts about packing, flying
> and eating tacos and cats in suitcases, which can only mean Wikimania is
> just around the corner.
>
> As last year, we have a pretty generous amount of public policy events set
> up. Here are some (but not all) of them. Conveniently ordered
>

>    - Wikimedia Conference Follow-Up Day
>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMCON_Follow-Up_Day>,
>    Wednesday, July 15, 13:00hrs, Conference venue
>    Inform people about the movement goals we want to set, get the
>    conversation going and people thinking so they have some time to reflect
>    ahead of the talks.
>

>    - The Twilight of EU Copyright Reform, or, How to reform with a hammer,
>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/The_Twilight_of_EU_Copyright_Reform,_or,_How_to_reform_with_a_hammer>
>    Friday, July 17, 15:00hrs
>    Once again we're looking at how crowd-sourced advocacy works, but this
>    time expect concrete examples of what Wikimedia did in Europe to try and
>    influence the copyright reform to include text that supports free
>    knowledge. You will see legislative texts proposed and by us and also get
>    an explanation why certain parts didn't make it to the final version. We'll
>    also discuss the question of how an international public policy structure
>    should look like.
>

>    - #npbmex <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/npbmex>, Friday
>    July 17, 20:00, Gathering at the lobby of the One Almeda Hotel (Av.
>    Juárez 88)
>    - Informal and social meet-up of all people interested in net politics
>    (copyright, network infrastructure, data protection, telecoms regulation,
>    etc.). Will mingle Wikimaniacs with local net activists.
>

>    - Public Policy Meetup
>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_meet-up>,
>    Saturday, July 18, 10:30, Conference venue (Chapters' village)
>    Wikimedians interested in public policy are invited to get to know
>    each other, discuss the issues, plans and solutions at Wikimania.
>

>    - Amplify Free Knowledge with Public Policy
>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Amplify_Free_Knowledge_with_Public_Policy>
>    Sunday, July 19, 11:00hrs, Conference venue
>    The WMF legal team will discuss the core policy issues lay out some
>    initial next steps that to better articulate our positions and make it
>    easier for volunteers to work locally to build better public policy for the
>    Wikimedia movement.
>

>    - Copyright reform in the EU - What you can expect to happen
>    <https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Copyright_reform_in_the_EU_-_What_you_can_expect_to_happen>,
>    Sunday, July 19, 11:30hrs, Conference venue
>    The inside scoop by Julia Reda, Member of the European Parliament and
>    rapporteur on the copyright implementation report. What are the European
>    Parliament and the European Commission likely to propose?

> [...]

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*