[Wiktionary-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Import question

cookfire cookfire at softhome.net
Fri Feb 18 09:28:31 UTC 2005

jellings wrote:

>Obviously my question has caused a serious issue.  I am thankful to
>those who have offered help.
>
>My goal was NOT to do a bulk loading into en.wiktionary.org or
>wikipedia.org via a bot or anything else.  I wanted to do this on my
>own installation from a file of my own work.  I tried looking around
>on different wiki groups for the answer but was unsuccessful.
>
>Slightly disappointed, but still working on it,
>
>John

Do not get discouraged. Your proposal is being discussed. This is the
normal way of doing things on a community project. We all want the
project to prosper and grow. If you choose to submit your contributions
at a rate of say 5-10 per day, people will be able to look at them, say
what they think about them, extend them, improve them, provide you with
feedback etc. An issue you have to think through is how to deal with
already existing entries? Do you merge them manually? Do you expect the
community to merge them? We are relatively few. That's why we need to
protect ourselves against bulk submissions. Ideally all the material
gets checked by at least two other people. One thing we do have, is
time. There is no hurry. We will get there. If it's not in 10 years, it
will be in 20 or more before we have the basics covered. Complete it
will never be, anyway. There's always going to be room for improvement.
Welcome to the Wiktionary project(s)

Polyglot