[Wiktionary-l] Re: De-capitalisation-isation

cookfire cookfire at softhome.net
Wed Jun 23 06:16:27 UTC 2004

Muke Tever wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:07:02 +0100, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>> I don't remember it being a consensus at all. I seem
>>> to recall some being quite opposed to it.
>>

>> Really? Can you provide links? I only remember people emphasising
>> that  they don't mind because they think the current work-around
>> work  perfectly for them. I seriously don't see how anyone can
>> seriously be  opposed to having a dictionary with correct spellings. :/
>

> I disagreed,
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wiktionary-l/2004-May/000018.html
> Polyglot said it could be done but he would vote against it also:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wiktionary-l/2004-May/000020.html

I initially opposed the idea since we had come up with a workaround.
After some more thought and reading the opinion of others on Wiktionary
EN, I changed my mind and now I'm convinced proper capitalisation is
indeed crucial for a dictionary project. I came up with the workaround
after asking a developer whether it would be possible to have proper
capitalisation. The answer back then was that it wouldn't be possible,
so we learned how to live and cope with it. Now that there is a
willingness to change it, I think it is a blessing.

Polyglot