[Wiktionary-l] Case - Sensitivity for Wiktionaries

Muke Tever muke at frath.net
Sat May 29 17:33:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:56:52 +0200, Ronny Raschkowan
<wiki at kopfrechnung.de> wrote:
> Why all this: Most of latin languages have most words with lowercase
> letters (ex.: german, french, english, ....). In the Wikipedia, it is
> not a big problem to have only uppercase letters. But in a dictionary,
> it's very important to have and to see a / the difference between upper-
> and lowercase words.

In the en:Wiktionary, the casing of a word is shown inline in the page, on
a line above the definitions that also shows grammatical information on a
word, such as its gender or principal parts:

	http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Malaysia
        http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Harangue
        http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Magicus

I think also that having separately-cased forms of words on different
pages might overemphasize the difference between some senses of a word,
where some may be capitalized and some not:

        http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Cynosure

Basically I disagree with case-sensitivity in page titles because I think
it is better for the title of an article to be in title case.  On the
en:Wiktionary we go out of our way to capitalize page titles, and use
redirects for languages the wiki software isn't smart enough to capitalize
automatically... if this case-sensitivity is enabled it will be a lot more
work.

The only exception I could see is words like "isiZulu" where the proper
title casing is not the initial character of the word.

      --Muke Tever, [[en:User:Muke]]