[Wikisource-l] Wikisource & DJVu at Commons

Ryan Dabler zhaladshar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 00:47:53 UTC 2006

I've never really been happy with the DjVu software I used.  (I used the
free online service at http://any2djvu.djvuzone.org/ to test out the file
format.)  I realize it's a lossy compression, but for black & white scanned
text images, converting from PNG to DJVU butchered the display.  Sure, the
file size was just a few kilobytes, but it was terrible to look at.  Colored
pictures fared much better--the quality was reduced, but not nearly as badly
as it was for B&W pictures.

I don't know what the software from LizardTech is like, but I imagine it
wouldn't kill the display quite so much.  Unless we can find a way of
keeping a relatively high quality for the DjVu pictures, I'd support using
an alternative (like TIFF, although that might produce MASSIVE file sizes if
we link 600 pages together into one file).