[Wikisource-l] Wikisource & DJVu at Common

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 06:15:58 UTC 2006

On 16/11/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think djvu sounds wonderful but I don't that many
> people understand how to use it.  I certainly don't.
> Is this the format Commons would like us to be using
> for scanned books?

Commons has no preference about this! Whatever suits you. I was just
under the impression that Wikisource used DJVu. From a comment by
brion ( http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/2006/07#DjVu_uploads_enabled
) it looks like it's de.WS who uses it, as you said.

> en.WS has decided to put scans on Commons as well but
> we are still stumbling about it.  I would very
> interested in working the kinks out of this with
> people who are familar with Commons.  I have a book I
> have begun to scan but haven't uploaded yet because I
> am uncertain of the best way to go about it.  I do
> feel that in  the long-term we need to see all scans
> on Commons so that WS can really grow into it's full
> potential as a workspace for creating free
> translations.

Well, we are certainly interested in working with WS too. Danny is
running as a sysop on Commons and this is very likely to succeed. So
maybe this will be helpful too.

Spangineer made a comment recently about Wikisourcians possibly being
worried about Commons due to images being deleted or "fixed"
erroneously. ( http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pfctdayelise/Principles#Wikisource
) As I said to him, Wikisourcians should feel confident about
(politely! :)) reverting such changes and requesting that changes be
made to a new copy of a file.

regards,
Brianna