[Wikisource-l] Wikisource & DJVu at Commons

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 18:02:40 UTC 2006

I think djvu sounds wonderful but I don't that many
people understand how to use it.  I certainly don't.
Is this the format Commons would like us to be using
for scanned books?

About how WS uses commons, it is not consistant across
all subdomains.  I think the de.WS uses it most
heavily but they do not participate on this list.
en.WS has decided to put scans on Commons as well but
we are still stumbling about it.  I would very
interested in working the kinks out of this with
people who are familar with Commons.  I have a book I
have begun to scan but haven't uploaded yet because I
am uncertain of the best way to go about it.  I do
feel that in  the long-term we need to see all scans
on Commons so that WS can really grow into it's full
potential as a workspace for creating free
translations.

Besides hosting scans needed for proofreading, WS also
use Commons as other WMF projects do to host
illustrations.  Since our illustrations are usually
things cut out of the scanned pages we tend to not use
Commons a resource to find things so much as host
things.  In the case of reference works many of these
illustrations can be also added into Wikipedia
projects.  Commonsticker has been a great thing for us
because many of our images need to remain purposefully
out-of-date in order to be appropriate to the text.

BirgitteSB

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Press_releases/1M