[Wikipedia-l] exicornt switch

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Mar 20 18:29:41 UTC 2006

Maru Dubshinki wrote:
>> The devs are aware of the fix, and are not willing to enable it. The exact
>> quote was that doing so is a  "very very bad idea." It is thier opinion that
>> it will be of no use, that the vandals will just create sleeper accounts and
>> evade the blocks. I don't agree, but I'm not a developer either; I defer to
>> thier expertise in the matter.
>> Essjay
>
> Is that really their reason?  That is *remarkably stupid* of them. I
> had thought there was a real reason; such lame excuses disgust me.

Nope.

The real situation is that our current blocking system sucks. A lot. And if we
just "flipped a switch" it would suck *MUCH WORSE* because it would be virtually
impossible to actually block anyone -- just create a bunch of accounts and
you're immune until someone laboriously tracks them all down.

So, it'll take more options and rethinking and generally some better, clearer
idea of what blocking's supposed to do.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)