[Wikipedia-l] What variant to use for Irish, Scottish and Welsh localities?

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:21:56 UTC 2006

"Wikipedia Romania (Ronline)"
<rowikipedia at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:648f108b0603100121k2d9e159fw19f370215b94b095 at mail.gmail.com...
> I'm planning to work on a number of articles related to Irish, Scottish
> and
> Welsh localities on the Romanian Wikipedia. I am currently in a dilemma as
> to what name to use - the Celtic variant or the English variant. I have
> realised that most non-English Wikipedias use the English variant - so
> that
> place names such as "Cork", "Dublin", "Edinburg" and "Cardiff" are used.
> For
> the exception of Dublin, perhaps, many of these place names, particularly
> smaller towns, do not have native variants in languages such as Romanian,
> German, French, etc.
[snip]

Your best bet in the first instance is to start your articles using the
English name. If there is a good article in :en: then link to that.

Also link as appropriate to corresponding articles on :ga:
(http://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/  Gaeilge/Irish) :gd:
(http://gd.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Gàidhlig/Scots Gaelic) and :cy:
(http://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Cymraeg/Welsh). You would hopefully find
these links in the English article.

It might be helpful if you create REDIRECTs for the "Celtic variant" to the
English version; if you discover that you want to use the Celtic variant
later, you can move the article on top of the REDIRECT.

The priority is to get the information into an article somehow: the name can
be changed later if necessary.

HTH HAND
--
Phil