[Wikipedia-l] What variant to use for Irish, Scottish and Welsh localities?

Wikipedia Romania (Ronline) rowikipedia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 09:21:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm planning to work on a number of articles related to Irish, Scottish and
Welsh localities on the Romanian Wikipedia. I am currently in a dilemma as
to what name to use - the Celtic variant or the English variant. I have
realised that most non-English Wikipedias use the English variant - so that
place names such as "Cork", "Dublin", "Edinburg" and "Cardiff" are used. For
the exception of Dublin, perhaps, many of these place names, particularly
smaller towns, do not have native variants in languages such as Romanian,
German, French, etc.

So, why should the English name be used in this situation? Wouldn't the
Celtic name be more appropriate? Celtic languages are co-official in
Scotland and Wales, while in Ireland, Irish is the first official and
national language. Due to this, I would prefer to use placenames such as
"Corcaigh", "*An Uaimh*" (for Navan), "*Chill Dara" *(for Kildare), etc.
However, this sounds quite odd and are not frequently used, even though they
are the first official name. What do others think? I am inclined to use them
so that people are actually educated that there exists an Irish language as
the first official language of Ireland. Too often, people in Romania say
"the Irish speak (just) English" and stop it at that. They're surprised, for
example, when I tell them about Irish names such as "Baile Atha Cliath" for
Dublin, etc.

Thanks,

Ronline