[Wikipedia-l] Map drawing software

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 20:17:23 UTC 2005

--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> This question makes me regret that I don't have the technical skills to
> develop my own vision of a map project that would be subject to the
> principles of wiki editing, notably that anybody can edit any map. Thus:
>     1. The 1-degree "square" is the fundamental building block of the
> world map.
>     2. A map may be scaled, with smaller squares showing a greater level
> of detail.
>     3. The simplest level of map does nothing more than answer whether
> that square is all land, all water, or mixed land and water.  This may
> even seem simplistic and too diagrammatic, but it would certainly let
> you know which squares need more work

That sounds like a raster map, which is not a good choice for this type of
thing. Vectors (points, lines, polygons) are far more widespread and useful for
mapping (rasters are mostly used for analysis and for aerial/satellite
photography).

WikiGIS.org/.com and WikiMaps.org/.com are both owned by the foundation
already.
Maps.wikimedia.org would work too, as would having this be part of Commons.

I'd like to help along such a project with my GIS knowledge regardless of where
the project ends up.

Meta user Tschirl ( http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tschirl ) is very
interested in marrying wiki software with mapping functionality. An example of
the open source GIS software is the the project admin for is at
http://www.mapbender.org/demoserver.html

Interesting stuff.

-- mav